What it takes to clear one of the most competitive exams in the world.

Saturday, May 30, 2009

Interviewing the Toppers: Shashank Deogadkar.

1. Name: Shashank Manohar Deogadkar.
2. Age/DOB: 27 years ( 22/04/1982 ).
3. Educational Background (with passing year): B.Com (2003), M.Com (2005) Pune University.
4. Exam: CSE 2008.
5. Roll number: 81127.
6. All India Rank: 178.
7. Category: General.
8. Service Allocated (probable): IRS (IT).
9. Service Preference (top 5): IAS, IFS, IRS (IT), IRS (C&CE)
10. Number of Attempts: 03.
11. Prelims Score (for 2008): Did not calculate.
12. Score (for previous attempts):
Attempt 1: 2006 Essay: 143, GS: 239, Optional 1: Commerce & Accountancy - 150, Optional 2: Public Administration - 282. Mains Not Qualified.

Attempt 2: 2007 Essay: 50, GS: 300, Optional 1: Commerce & Accountancy - 250, Optional 2: Public Administration - 292. Mains Not Qualified.

13. Score (for 2008): Attempt 3
  • Essay: 117
  • GS: 302
  • Optional 1 (Commerce & Accountancy): 282
  • Optional 2 (Public Administration): 360
  • Total: 1061
  • Interview: 168
  • Grand Total: 1229





Q: Did you start early, since when you were motivated to be an IAS officer?
A: No, I did not start early. In fact I came to know about Civil Services only after completing graduation. I wanted to do something different than what my friends were doing i.e. joining software, M.B.A, or Chartered Accountancy. I attended some lectures of Shri Avinash Dharmadhikari who was an I.A.S. officer himself and after resigning started Chanakya Mandal to guide youth who want to join Civil Services.

Q: Is there any significant event that motivated you to join civil services?
A: I was preparing for State PSC Exam. In December 2004 when Tsunami struck Tamil Nadu, we, a group of 100 students of Chanakya Mandal went to Nagapattinam district for Relief and Rehabilitation work. We worked there for 10 days at Tharangambadi i.e. Tranquebar. This experience really opened my eyes to the power of District Administration and the amount of Relief work that it can do. My thinking was that if the administration can do such a lot of work in such a crisis situation then what it can do at normal times. This motivated me a lot to go for Civil Services exam.

Q: Please tell us about your family background?
A: I come from a middle class background. My Father was serving in a private company as a Data Entry Operator and took VRS in 1998. My Mother was working in Ammunition Depot as Office Superintendent and retired in 2006 after 36 years of service. My Elder sister is married and is a Homemaker. My Elder brother is married and is working in a private organization as Manager (IT).

Q: For how many years you have been preparing for this examination?
A: I prepared for State PSC for 2 years i.e. from 2003 and shifted to preparation of UPSC since January 2005. I gave my 1st attempt in May 2006. So, it’s been almost 6 years of preparation.

Q: How did you choose you optionals?
A: Since I come from Commerce background, naturally I had liking towards that subject and I went through the syllabus and previous years question papers. For Public Administration, a lot of similarity exists in Commerce and Public Administration especially the management part. Therefore I decided on Commerce and Public Administration.

Q: What was your strategy for prelims?
A: For Prelims I concentrated on spread and only in some areas I went into depth. My 1st objective was completing the syllabus. After that I solved a lot of questions for Commerce since sums are asked in prelims and calculator is not allowed. So speed with accuracy was important and solving more questions is the only way to do it.

Q: What was your strategy for Mains?
A: For Mains it was a combination of extensive and intensive preparation. In some areas selective approach is beneficial since it saves a lot of time. But one has to be careful while doing so. Since it was my third attempt, I had completed reading the syllabus at least once earlier and then decided to be selective.

Q: What is your view on Coaching Institutes? Did you join any or referred to their notes? Please tell us about the role of coaching institutes in your success. Why should one join them and how did you make your decision?
A: Coaching Institutes can be a proper guide and motivator since this exam demands a lot. For Commerce I took Mains guidance at Vajiram and Ravi. I did Public Administration on my own. For all 3 attempts, for GS, I took guidance from Shri Avinash Dharmadhikari. Vajiram and Ravi helped me clear my concepts of Commerce and improved my answer writing skills. I give the credit of my success to Shri Avinash Dharmadhikari as he was very helpful and motivating especially after my second attempt (which I consider my best). I was very disappointed after my 2nd attempt and he helped to bring me back on track. He used to check my answers of GS and Essay and give accurate feedback which helped me a lot. While joining a coaching institute one should look for genuinity and past record.

Q: Can we say the earlier attempts were ‘non-serious’ or rather non-aware attempts? Does your being in Pune affect your preparation and awareness regarding CSE?
A: I don’t think that my earlier attempts belong to either of the above category. Being in Pune did not affect my preparation in a negative way. In fact Pune is an upcoming centre as far as Competitive exams are concerned. Pune is a vibrant cultural centre and in fact it helped to broaden horizons regarding the services and the Nation at large.

Q: How did failure change you? How you coped with the negative emotions and got yourself moving? What’s the best strategy to overcome failure?
A: I think that UPSC is a character building exercise. I think failure has made me more humble and crushed all remaining bits and pieces of ego that I had. I am a voracious reader. Reading books helped me overcome negative emotions. I am much into Spiritual reading. My favourite books are Conversations with God Series by Neale Donald Walsch and Collected works of Kahlil Gibran. Its books like these that helped me overcome failure. I also engaged in a lot of visualization techniques to overcome failure. Not to think much and not to engage in past is the best strategy to overcome failure. Take each day as it comes and sleep peacefully after achieving whatever target you set for that day.

Q: You have significantly improved your Mains marks in this attempt; can you please elaborate on your weaknesses and the areas you ignored in earlier attempts?
A: My answers in the previous attempt were getting a bit too technical in the optionals. When I discussed my answers with successful candidates I found out that their answer writing style was very simple and lucid. Also my weakness was that I used to answer the topic asked in the question and not the question. This time I made it a point to make my answers very simple and to answer the question. Also I included a lot of day-to-day examples in my answers of optionals, especially Public Administration. Newspapers helped me find these kinds of examples. The answer writing style was also modified to point form instead of paragraphs. I guess this might have helped me in improving my marks.
For GS solving a lot of question papers helped me, in at least increasing my speed of writing, to complete the paper. I used to write one essay per week in the beginning and later an essay per month just to stimulate my thought process and to learn to put everything in my mind onto the paper in a systematic and presentable manner.

Q: Give us a brief overview of your interview.
A: My interview happened on 27th March 2009 in the morning session. I was the first one to be interviewed in the morning session in K.K. Paul’s board. The interview was mostly based on my bio data. Interview began by the Chairman asking me questions on Formula 1( my hobby). Then questions on that days newspapers( fortunately I had read them) for eg. Ramchandra Guha, Freida Pinto. Then a lot of questions on economics by panel members about Competition Commission, Forward Markets, Satyam Scam, Recession. Then question on negative voting, system of recall. Then questions on Pune ( I was born and brought up in Pune) – history, current problems and remedies, educational institutions in Pune. It was followed up by questions on Tsunami Rehabilitation. My interview lasted for 20-25 minutes.

Q: Any interesting question or happening from your interview.
A: I was asked lot of questions on Formula 1 (watching it is my hobby). Also a question on Frieda Pinto ( Slumdog Millionaire) was asked. The question was asked because she was featured in the newspaper that day and was voted as the 4th sexiest female in the world. So the Chairman ( K.K. Paul) asked, “ What is the difference between Sexy and Beauty?” I was taken aback by this question.

Q: How did you prepare for Interview? Role of Coaching, Mock Interviews, Internet, Orkut, etc. in it.
A: For Interview I took guidance again from Shri Avinash Dharamadhikari. He took lectures on various topics immediately after the mains was over. He also gave me an opportunity to teach at Chanakya Mandal. I used to teach Economics and Public Administration. Teaching helped me a lot to handle different kinds of questions and removed stage fear and also built the subject knowledge. I also gave a mock interview at Yashada.

Q: What was your backup plan in case you failed?
A: I am a die hard optimist. I did not have any Plan B. I did not think about it. My favourite line from the Matrix series of Movies, “ Even Hope is an indulgence.” So I put my head down and kept working.

Q: Did you appear for any State PSCs as well? If, yes, of which states and with what outcome? Please tell us about your experience with the State PSCs. Is this option a good backup in case you fail in CSE?
A: Yes, I appeared for Maharashtra State PSC only. In 1st attempt, I failed to clear prelims. In 2nd attempt I cleared Prelims but failed to qualify Mains. After that I did not attempt the exam again. I kept my focus only on UPSC. I think it is a good option to take State PSC exam alongside UPSC while retaining one’s focus on UPSC.

Q: What is your opinion about necessity of going to Delhi for CSE preparation?
A: I do not feel it is necessary to go to Delhi for preparation. I had to go, as Commerce is such an optional which has to be taught. I took guidance only for Mains part of Commerce and returned to Pune in 3 months. After that I stayed at home and prepared.

Q: Tell us about the books you referred for 1) GS, 2) Optional 1 and 3) Optional 2.
A: For GS, it is the standard book-list that is available.

For Commerce I only referred to Vajiram and Ravi Class notes. For practice of Sums I referred to Khan and Jain for Financial Management, Maheshwari for Costing and again Maheshwari for Advanced Accounting. For Auditing I referred to Dinkar Pagare.

For Public Administration, I referred to Public Administration – Theories and concepts by Fadia and Indian administration by Fadia, Administrative Thinkers by Prasad and Prasad. Besides this I ordered Vajiram and Ravi printed Notes.

Q: Many newcomers have doubt whether one needs to read all the books cover to cover or have to read selectively?
A: I think whatever basic books are there, they have to be read fully. After that one can engage in selective reading.

Q: Tell us about the magazines and newspapers your read and how much time did you devote for it daily.
A: Magazines: Frontline and Chronicle and sometimes Wizard for 2 markers.
Newspaper: The Hindu.

I read The Hindu daily for One and Half hours. I think newspaper is the best source of information. I used to prepare notes from the newspaper by dividing my notebook in 6 areas – National, International, Economy, Sports, Science and Tech, Awards and then note down events in particular section. This helped me a lot during both Pre as well as mains.

Q: How did you manage time during preparation? Can you give a glimpse of your daily and monthly schedule? For how many hours did you study?
A: I used to take 1 day at a time. During the day, I used to do all 3 components i.e. 1st Optional, 2nd Optional as well as GS. 6 hours each for Optionals and 3-4 hours for GS which excludes paper reading. I used to do Paper 1 for 3 days and Paper 2 for 3 days of each optional. Sunday I used to do extra reading of magazines as well as a little enjoyment. (Movies and Music and Formula 1).

Q: Tell us about your hobbies and how were you able to integrate them to your preparation.
A: My hobbies are Reading (Spiritual), Listening to Music and Watching Formula 1 racing. My Favourite book is Conversations with God series by Neale Donald Walsch and Kahlil Gibran’s literature. Reading helped my in my essays as well as to maintain my sanity and balance of mind. Music has a soothing effect and therefore t helped me too. I like to listen to lot of Instrumentals from Kenny G, Enigma and Brian Silas.

Q: We would like to have your frank opinion on some issues that are bothering the civil services aspirants for quite sometime now. You may deny your comment, if you consider it inappropriate.
a. Criticism of UPSC for unnecessary secrecy, justified or not? (No cut-off marks, no model answers, no scaling method, etc.)
A: Secrecy is always a problem. If one wants to better the earlier performance then nothing is available with the candidate apart from the marks. Regarding what does UPSC do when there is a lot of clustering of marks, these kinds of details is not necessary to be divulged.

b. Is the reservation system up to the mark, is it serving its purpose?
A: Not reservation per se but faulty implementation of reservations is causing problems. If other linkages are well developed like education infrastructure, then reservations would be out of the box. Also difference in number of attempts permitted causes a lot of heartburn.

c. What reforms do you want in CSE or What reforms would have helped you much during your preparation?
A: Transparency, I guess, would certainly have helped me…especially if papers of toppers were available then I could have improved faster.

d. A debate arose after this years result, first-timers vs. veterans, questions are being raised about evaluation procedure of UPSC, what’s your say? Is CSE a subjective and unpredictable exam? Did you get the marks you expected?
A: No idea on this one. CSE is unpredictable but if the candidate is well prepared then this unpredictability can be reduced. Regarding my marks…I think every candidate feels that he/she deserved more marks than what is given…same is the case with me…but I am happy with whatever I have got.

e. (On Interview) some say be neutral at all cost, don't criticize the govt., some say be tactful, criticize intelligently, what's your say?
A: I think spontaneity and innocence are important attributes in the interview. Don’t fake. Be truthful, alert and intelligent and say what you want to say with conviction and that will fetch you more marks.

f. Did you notice any difference in the approaches of coachings in Delhi and Pune?
A: In Delhi I only did coaching for Commerce. Coaching in Delhi teaches more of Pursuit of marks and I find it a spoon feeding approach which may kill the creativity and initiative of the student. Coaching at Chanakya Mandal, Pune taught me Pursuit of Knowledge and marks are bound to follow. It encouraged creativity along with rationality and encouraged nation building.

Q: Sum up your tryst with UPSC in a couple of lines.
A: UPSC is a Character building exercise. It has taught me to face life head on. It has taught me to never give up in the face of defeat. It has taught me that, “It is not how hard you hit but how hard you get hit and still keep going forward that makes you.”

Q: Give a small motivational message to the community especially the newcomers?
A: As Chris Gardener says in the movie Pursuit of Happiness, “You got a dream….. you got to protect it. Do not let anyone tell you that you cannot do this….not even me.” Keep Faith and Never Give Up.

Q: What is your opinion about this initiative? Is something lacking or are there some areas where we can improve to make these interviews more informative and useful? Would you like say something else which we might have missed?
A: This is a great initiative and I thank you all for doing such a great thing. This will surely help the newcomers and solve their problems. Best of Luck to all of you.

(Thank you Shashank for sharing your experience with us. We wish you all the very best for your future.)

4 comments:

  1. a very nice thing to hear...
    good helpful interview..
    Indrakumar HB

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am also preparing at chanakya mandal. I have attended shashank sir's sessions. He is truely inspiring !

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is realy inspring. I have attended sir's lec. And about chanakya mandal pariwar it is ideal for me and my meny friends.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How to Play Slots - Dr. Maryland
    Learn how to play slots. Before we go on to show you how 남원 출장마사지 to play, 세종특별자치 출장안마 let us explain to you how 김포 출장샵 you can play slots. Learn the basics and 동해 출장마사지 strategies 평택 출장마사지 to

    ReplyDelete